Sunday, August 24, 2008

Worship Confessional - 8.24.08

Set List
Famous One
Sing to the King
You Never Let Go
Grace Like Rain
Let it Rain
Surrender

Today was one of those days that I thought would never get here, but when it did, it was all I imagined and more. It really started last night with a really good nights sleep. I have said here before that I usually don't sleep very well on Saturday nights. I attribute this to my mind racing, being excited about worship, and just plain ADD. Last night I fell asleep around 9 or so and woke up 7 hours later in the same position that I fell asleep in. It was great.

I usually wake up at 5am so I can pick up our screen graphics guy @ 6. I like to get there really early because it gives me time to get some coffee down, get prayed up and warm up my voice. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I don't know what was going on with my throat this morning, but I had something caught in there, and had the worst time during sound check. Luckily it got better before worship started. We had a good sound check, got to run through everything, and were ready in plenty of time to let the band go get some coffee.

When worship started the room was only half full, like usual. During the first song, people filed in, and started to sing right away. Laura did a great job with the welcome and sermon set-up, and then we went into the next 2 songs. Again, the voices of the congregation were strong, and we could hear them on the stage.

Rick was speaking today and gave the second message in the Soul Life series ( this was actually #3, but the 2nd spiritual practice), speaking on submission. The biggest face slapper for me was the question, "Can I trust Christ enough to lay down the terrible burden of always needing to get my own way?" Now, I am a selfish kind of guy. I like to get my own way. I am going to be praying hard about this week. Thanks Rick.

At the close of the sermon, Rick led the congregation to stand and we sang "Grace Like Rain" together. The congregation sang it really well, and we ended it with just the voices singing the chorus. It was beautiful. As "Grace" ended, I started "Let It Rain" and we built it up into a reading of Ephesians 1:7-8 that Laura did.

For offering Jon and I did the song "Surrender" by Marc James. I hadn't heard this song until last weekend when I went to Crossland for worship. The lyrics fit perfectly for the sermon and was a good way to end our time together.

Over all, today was an amazing day of worship. The tech teams were spot on with lyrics, and video, the sound was really good and the band was as tight as we have been in a long time.

And I get paid to do this? The grace of God is good.

Later

No comments: